EP 4 in the series. All of the tracks transition into each other like a DJ set. So you could have a (short) party with this! The tracks are me having fun and geeking out with music technology. Getting various ideas,then painting it all together in Pro Tools. For this EP it was all about not judging too much, letting it flow and remembering the dance music of the late eighties and early nineties with the omnipresent 909 type kick beating the pulse. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did 🙂
- Sequencer Sanity: Experimenting with the step sequencer on a Casio CZ-5000 back in about 1992. Hypnotic patterns and rhythms in 4/4 time. This is the kind of thing that sometimes falls out of the pile of old ideas, and becomes fresh again with age.
- Dimple: The result of experimenting with turning up the quiet bits at the end of samples in the grungy 12 bit Yamaha TX16W. This is from a sample made by Paul Wiffen. Fun with the Kaoss pads and FM synthesis. April 2016.
- Snow White: Tuning experiments with the Monark MiniMoog, an un-predictable un-stable analogue beast. This is a preset, go find it and have fun with it yourself. A bit of Korg Wave sequencing and a keyboard electric guitar solo at the end, making a transition. December 2014.
- Epic: Weeks spent sampling orchestral chords on a Casio SK-5 instead of study for my Leaving Cert (the State Exam) in 1990. Beats made with a Roland drum pad plus a Roland drum machine triggering a Yamaha CS-5.
- Transition 4: Experiments with layering and modulation on a Casio CZ-1, with old tape machine noises. September 2008.
Here is the list of instruments and equipment I used on Transitions. Any hardware listed as software is stuff that is either sampled into or physically modelled in the computer.
Casio CZ-5000 sequencer
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Korg Kaoss Pad 1+2
Kawai K1, K4
Arturia ARP 1613 sequencer
Emu Emulator II
Fairlight CMI IIx+III
Martin Luder PG8X
Native Instruments Battery
Native Instruments FM8
Native Instruments Guitar Rig
Native Instruments Kontakt
Native Instruments Reaktor
Sonic Charge Cyclone
Sunbird acoustic guitar
Yamaha CP35 (Sample Katra)
Recorded in 27″ iMac running Pro Tools 12.